Monday, July 21, 2008

Masochistic Cat II

That's what Ryan Parnes's mom said to me after my third bike race of the weekend in Boise, Idaho. I now have enough points to upgrade to Category II which will be more masochism for sure.

Masochism
1 : a sexual perversion characterized by pleasure in being subjected to pain or humiliation especially by a love object — compare sadism
2 : pleasure in being abused or dominated : a taste for suffering

Hmmm I guess I take having a taste for suffering but not sure about the other definitions. This was after the Idaho State Criterium Championships on Sunday. It was 100 degrees and I just had finished the 2nd 50 minute race. I placed 2nd in the Cat 3 race and suffered in the Master Race.

I finished DFL but finished. I caught back on the pack after getting dropped which is not easy in a criterium.

results of Idaho State Crit are here:
http://www.lostrivercycling.org/docs/2008_sct_results.pdf

The Boise Twilight Criterium was the main event on Sat night in Downtown Boise. It's the place to see and be seen as at least 10,000 people show up for it.

Here's a video of what the pro race looked like.



Toyota United put on a clinic on how to race. I got there for the last 1/2 of the race and they were in the top 8 most of the time. Kristen Armstrong showed why she's in good form for the Beijing Olympics in a few weeks. She hammered a 1:12 1st lap then a few 1:06s (30mph) and cut the field in half right away then lapped the field solo.

I found some great pictures here. Good pics of Cameron Hoffman and KK (Kirsten Kotval). It was fun cheering on the Utah riders.

Cameron Hoffman went off the front a couple of times in the 2nd half of the race. I missed the 1st half. There was a $500 cash preem at about 6 laps to go. The last few laps heated up and Hilton Clarke won easily surrounded by teammates after lapping the field with a teammate and Dan Ramsey from Time Cycling. He was quite a ways back in the 3 man sprint.

My race (Cat 3/Master 40+) was fast from the gun. I was trying to just sit in and settle into the race. I started moving up when it slowed after 6 laps. Some idiot looked back and I saw him swerve and lean into another guy and all hell broke loose. A few guys went down and I swerved around and thru them. Another couple got tangled up, A guy from George's went down. He was laying accross the street sideways. I tried to slow down and my front tire went right into his ribs at about 19 mph (that's what my computer said b4 it went to zero). I went airborne over the bars. I should have bunny hopped him but didn't think off that because I was slowing. I checked myself and ran to the pits and jumped back in. I was happy to finish the race. Results are here.

Just found a video of our race. I think i'm in the middle somewhere. That looked pretty fast there.....



It was a great weekend for the wife and I. I really like Boise and thank to Anthony Barthell for the room.

6 comments:

UtRider said...

Boise is the sweetness. Of course having grown up there I'm a bit biased. Nice work on the Cat 2 upgrade!

Anonymous said...

GOD HELP US........:)

Piotrek said...

Wow, that race sounds like something I would never do. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Are you sure you are ready for Cat 2? There is a huge difference between a 2 and 3 here in Utah. You must be accepted and uphold the coveted snobbery that goes with this title. Never hope for a field sprint, you must lead out the final 2 or 3 miles of a race. Also, you must realize that this is not a small lake that has small fish, it is a huge lake that still has small fish. And most of all but not least do not disrupt the order of egoness that has been evolving here for decades.

Anonymous said...

wtf! they just upgraded tropical storm Dolly to Cat 2!

pterry said...

Cat2! Wow, now you can race where the fast guys are- Masters