Sunday, March 9, 2008

Quotes from the Zen Master & Chumps Challenge

I have been training with Peter Schotting since Jan 1st and here are some funny things he has said.

Schotting on laps times. "Those are women's times."

0n tapering. "What do you want to do come to the rink in a rolling hospital bed."

On putting my hands on my knees when hurting while racing a 1500m today or 5k in the past or 3k in the past....."You see the protocol says ISU...that means International Skating Union not Rollerskating Union....that's not Ice speedskating" but my legs hurt and I'll fall..."we'll do more dryland next summer".

On warming down....."Go do 16 minutes of laps"

When I'm tired, "Why would you be tired we haven't anything."

Seriously though it's been tough but fun at the same time. I remember one day when I did a 1500m then a 5k. I skated a warmdown (10k) then got off the ice. He said now go run 8 laps on the oval. I did two laps then I went and hid in the bathroom for a bit. I started thinking I must be sick.... I'm actually paying this guy to torture me.

Why he's a great coach. Erin Anders was skating with us till he hurt his knee. He did a 3k and bombed after a lap (it's a 7 lap race). He did 3 or 4 laps at 33 the day before but in the race he went 34 1st lap then 37s...38...39?...then 37 at the end. Peter was like what happened you dropped anchor after one lap?? Erin does a little warmdown and sits down to take off his skates. Peter says to Erin where you going? "Keep your skates on. You are going to go out and skate 5 laps at 34/35 second pace. Not for me but for you. You need to know that you can do that even if it's right after a 3k race." Next time you go to race you will have the confidence to KNOW that you can do that. Erin goes out and does like 5 34s. That's a great coach in my book. It was a Herb Brooks moment for sure.

Today was dissapointing for me at the Champions Challenge. I had high expectations for my 1500m. I was 3 seconds off my Personal Best (PB) on a day when 36 personals were skated. I was paired with Josh Wood and thought for sure we would both do personals. He did a huge 4 second one and got 2nd place at 1:50 (1st USA skater). Great job buddy. I was with him at 300m then scratched around the inner turn & then didn't set up my outer turn real well. I gave him a good draft though on the backstretch then he was a 2nd ahead at 700m. I stopped skated as Peter said at 900m. Thanks to Andrew cheering me I kept skating. I heard you buddy. I had some issues and didn't really skate that well. I just didn't have great feel. What funny though is I did my first 1:57 EVER. I've skated 1:59s, 58s, 3 56s, 2 55s, and one 1:54 but never a 1:57. I guess that was the time for today. I know when I don't have high expectations I skate better. Earlier post "don't think just skate" or Give up and skate a PB. Hopefully that will happen tommorow. My 5k should be a PB by at least 10 seconds based on practice but no predictions here. I'm just going to skate and use the lap times as information.
Based on my practice times lately, if it doesn't come out in racing tommorow it will come out sooner or later.

No comments: