Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Don't even know where to start

It's been 16 days since my last post. I went from that DONE feeling, to depressed feeling, to listless feeling to renewed feeling during this time. I was so done after skating the last day of the Champions Challenge. I had big expectations for the 10k. I went out super hard (for me) 34 second laps. I had a good first 1/2 race (7:18) 5k then died to a 7:44 2nd 5k. It will get better next season with summer training with Peter Schotting. I finished with a PB by 20 seconds of 15:02. The 5k the day before was a 10 second personal for this season of 7:07.00. I died the last 4 laps of that one. It's funny i have some video clips of the race and I almost hit the pads with 4 to go.

I took 9 days completely off and did alot of work at work. It was like coming off drugs. I was restless, irritable, and generally lethargic. I slept alot and had not alot of energy. My first ride I went up Emmigration at AT HR in 34 minutes. The last part I just hammered and I had "legs of gold" that day. Boy what a break can do for you.

I'm back now to just having fun on the bike. If you can call doing an hour criterium with an avg HR of 180 fun in 30-40 degree weather. That race last Sat was one of the hardest I've done at RMR. It reminded me of the Dave Z Hurrican day last year. That's another story. Let's just say I was lapped by Dave Z, Louder and Bryson Perry at least one last year around this time.

There was 60 guys at the start, within 5-10 minutes there were 35-40 guys left. Alot of guys flatted. Yes maybe some of them were real but alot of them are "ego flats". Jeff Louder and some others were driving the break hard. I was in the 2nd chase group of 8-12. We were a half lap down at one point then we made up alot of time and got within 10 seconds or so I heard. All this summary of the race is 2nd hand as I couldn't tell you anything since I was staring at the wheel in front of me for an hour and 2 minutes. At one brief easy point I asked Robert Lofgran what was happening (8 guys up the road). I don't know who was driving our group because I was hanging on for my life. I was using every drafting trick I knew to stay on. My HR was 195 at times.
I told myself for the last 20 minutes I'll just do one more lap then I'll drop out. This went on for quite a few laps. Ryan Littlefield was in our group and he shot out of it like a cannon and I heard he just about caught the few guys who finished after Louder and Sohmmy. I guess when he did that with 1/2 lap to go that was when gaps opened as I was on the back of the 2nd group. Gaps opened and I looked at my HR of 192. I figured I would wait. The guys in front of me gave up and sat up. I was waving guys thru at 40 minutes (5 guys went thru) as I was not holding the draft. They went by and I said I'll just jump in for one more lap. Guys think I might be joking but I was cooked after the race. I might have finished 15th or so just drunkenly pedaling in at HR 188.
I am pretty fit from skating long distances since Jan 1. I have Peter Schotting to thank for that. He is starting a training group here in SLC. It's a great chance to train with a coaching legend.

Here's the press realease from my good friend Rich Gregorson who is our marketing guy:
A world class speed skating training group will be formed in Salt Lake City, Utah.

The 2008/2009, 48 week program, under the guidance of five time Olympic Speed skating Coach Peter Schotting, will commence in the last week of April 2008.
In preparation for the 2008-2009 National and International Championships, as well as in preparation for the 2010 and 2014 Olympic Winter Games

A limited amount of positions in this group are still available,
North American or International interested skaters in Junior, Senior or Master Class interested in this opportunity can contact with Skater Bio information
Email skating resume to pmb229@yahoo.com



Some great shows coming up in SLC. Frank Caliendo is in town Sat. Ministry is here april 11th. That's a blast from the past for me. some other good bands/concerts will be here as well.

How about this one from my favorite baseball player Spaceman Lee.

1 comment:

Piotrek said...

Brian writing about bike racing is the official sign that spring has arrived. ;-)