Monday, April 21, 2008

Dick Ring and Terry Longsjo talk about Fitchburg Longsjo Stage Race and Race report

I am so lucky to call Dick a good friend. I could listen to him talk all night. Wow....i've heard the Kangamangus fixed gear story but never the whole story of his first day announcing. Wow what a wonderful woman Terry Longsjo is. I need to do this race before I die.
Ringer tells about some of my training secrets in this video. cool cool stuff here.



Another good one if you have time:

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/2004-fitchburg-longsjo-classic-part-two-of-four-aubuchon-hardware-circuit-race/2255258266

Race report from Tax Day. I felt good going up slight incline. I had a rider on each side and in the draft. Felt like I was in a nice lazyboy recliner.

U turn heading up to the steeper stuff dudes hit it hard. At 1km to go looked at HR of 190 and thought not good. From now on when I race I'm taping over my HR monitor. I do like to know my cadence and that's about it.

I got gapped when it turned up and wasn't that far back at summit. I hit the downhill at 50mph (i found out later) and still couldn't get back on. I was close for a few miles. So close that the wheel car and ref car stayed behind my solo effort. U turn to start heading uphill and then shortly thereafter cars came by and I was mentally done.

I rode around with two stonger than me guys Evan H and Scott Patten and we got close but it was hard and windy. I finished DFL but was glad i finished even after a flat. Lots of guys dropped out. I had an ego flat. I flatted after about 2:20 on the bike.

It was good that I flatted because I was cramping bad. I was walking for about 10 minutes while waiting. Helped my muscles loosen up. Sohmmy and another guy came by off the front. I got my wheel from the car. I took some time to get going then rode for a minute and the pack came by. The break had a pretty good gap with one to go at that point. I got on the back of the group and enjoyed the draft till the 1km to go hill climb. Rode around another lap and it was nice to hear some people cheer for my finish. Proud to finish DFL as I was to win the past two weekends. Horses for courses and that wasn't my course for sure.

One other thing for UTrider, I got a Gary Fisher Mountain bike off of ksltv.com for cheap. It's a 29er hardtail. I shredded the Boneville Shoreline Trail on Sunday entering from City Creek. It was a long ass ride exiting at DryCreek. It was awesome I only saw 3 people in a couple of hours. Actually I rode from Sugarhouse to West Valley (my work) then up to the Capital and to City creek. It was nice and didn't feel like a workout. Although getting up the BST from City Creek was hard. I had to hike a bike a few times. My skills are lacking but it was fun. Not sure how this will help me in crits and speedskating but it was fun. Legs felt pretty good after the Tax Day grind. That course was hard as you were either going up against the wind or down against the wind. Not sure how it was possible. Seemed the only place wind was behind was on the steeper stuff which isn't good for a guy weighing almost 200 pounds.

1 comment:

UtRider said...

Sweet! Let me know when you want to rip the bst again. Once the high country opens up you may find your road bike collecting dust!