Sunday, May 4, 2008

Ogden race

May 1st was last Thursday and everyone around the world started their first day of training for the 2008-2009 skating season. I went for a ride out to Salt Air. I'm still just riding my bike for fun and not too motivated to start skate training yet. It's funny last year I really didn't do any skate training till August 1st so I'm ahead of schedule so far.

Now to IAAB....it's all about Brian as one of my "coaches" like to let me know. Ogden One organized a sweet race on Saturday with some of the best prizes I've gotten so far and I didn't win. The course was awesome. The start/finish straightaway was beautifully tree lined. I don't understand why we only had 15 Masters and 20 Cat 3s at this one. The climbers here I guess don't like crits? I was in Boston for East Canyon. Don't think I missed much cause I can't get over the wall. There's a plot to a crit and usually a couple of sub plots as well. Some people don't know how to read the program. Crits teach you how to race and how to get FAST. I remember Burke (name dropping) telling me last year that he hated crits when he started. He's obviously not a crit rider but he can read the program and GET Er Done for an ace climber. You get a feel for how a race is unfolding and what to do next. Team tactics make it even better. What makes it fun is that sometimes the plot takes an unexpected twist at the end.

Their was an unfortunate accident in my 1st race and I hope Jon Gardner heals up fast. It was good to see Clint out there and unfortunately this shit is part of the deal. Had a good conversation with the CLAW. I have alot of respect for that guy. He knows how to race hard. It was a stressful day doing what should be fun so I'm just going to leave it at that. I don't get paid enough money for this shit to be stressful. Crashes suck but are what we sign up for. Remind me of that when some jackass chops my wheel like a few years back at the E Center Crit when I hurt my shoulder bad and had some good road rash. Congrats to Gary Swain on his W in the Cat 3s. Pretty fast guy for an old man as is Sam Moore.

Jess Dear of RMCC lead out the sprint till the corner with about 300m to go. Sam Moore jumped early? (maybe before the corner?) and had a gap. I had to thread the needle between two guys to start sprinting. I don't know what guys are doing at the front 220 meters from the line going backwards??? It was a little dangerous then I thought I just had to catch Sam. I killed myself to get to Sam and barely passed him when I looked to my left and saw Gary surge right at the line and get me by a hair. Sprinting is a crap shoot and Gary was in the right position. Positioning is the name of the game in sprinting unless you can just blow people away. I got upto 36.9 in that one and it was all me since I didn't get on Sam's wheel and seemed like some headwind.

It was funny because Gary looked around then was like did I get it. I was like yes I think you won. He looked dumbfounded then delayed reaction started throwing his hands in the air celebrating. I don't know if I'm getting soft in my old age but I was truly happy for him. I don't like to lose no one does but I am proud of how I have reacted to getting 2nd in my last two races. More proud than winning. I read about Jack Nickalaus and how he has placed 2nd way more times than he won and he was a very gracious "loser". Congrats to my new bike buddy Gary Swain.

Oh yea I had some guy? run me off the road into the dirt in the Cat 3 race. We went past the start/finish line. I think there was a gust from the right I was on the left outside. This guy to my right moved over 1 lane. I yelled and he moved over another lane. I didn't want to bang bars again and went to the edge of the road with no curb then hit the dirt at 25+. I got back on the back of the group and was so wound up I attacked off the front about 200-300 meters. When no one would go with me I integrated baack to the field. Then Aaron Olson threw a hard attack and luckily i stuck on.



Some advice for racers reading this (myself included):
1. Don't look back. I don't think anyone can track a straight line and look back at the same time. You can look under your shoulder if you must look back. My Cat 1friend always yells at me for looking back on the oval at RMR. If you really want to see what's happening go to the side of the road away from the pack and look back. I did that in the Cat 3 race.
2. You can't change lanes without looking. You don't do it on I-15 do you. Don't do it in a bike race.
3. If there is clearly 2 or 3 lines don't be the guy making it 3 or 4 lines. I hate when guys try to fit between two lines. Don't ride on my hip pocket either? Ride to the side or behind me unless we are echeloning.
4. Watch your back wheel when you move around in the pack. I always look before I move around the pack but sometimes forget about my back wheel when passing someone. Bad habit from short track skating. Sorry to anyone i may have chopped this year.
5. Don't stand up in the middle of the pack. What happens when you do that is your back wheel goes back 6-12 inches and you give me a heart atttack. There's one guy I won't mention in the A group of RMR who does this all the time. If you do feel like doing this.....shift up 2 gears then stand up and your bike will not shoot back.
6. Don't sweep the turns. Hold your line and if you enter on the inside you exit on the inside. I had a problem on the 2nd turn of the last lap of the cat 3 race. I had too much speed and that turn had dirt. Sorry Cameron but shit happens too. Thankfully we got thru the turn ok Saturday. I like to stay to the outside on turns as I'm heavy and carry my speed better. I remember at Boise a few years back this kid who will remain nameless enters the turn on the inside (final turn). He exits the turn now on the barriers. Bob Walker had to stop because he entered the turn on the curb. I was behind Bob and I had to skid to a stop bounce off the railings and then sprint back to the group. Speaking of crazy shit. That race in the Cat 3s I saw guys going off into hay bails, hitting parking meters, guys pedals skipping in my spokes, guys shoving me to the curb....it was crazy. I had more close calls in that one race than 3 years worth of RMRs. The last turn i was back in 30th place praying that I would get thru it in one piece. We were like 5 accross with alot of guys thinking they could win and that can make things dangerous.
7. Don't break on the turns. The Masters were doing this every turn. I don't know if they just don't know how to ride or they were trying to help teammates up the road.
8. Don't sprint down the RMR oval zig zagging like you think its the Tour Day France. Just keep your head up and sprint straight. We don't get paid enough to go down at 35+.


File under aggravating things to do in a bike race:
1. You are near the front of the strung out field of the A group at RMR. You see yourself blowing up on the railing so you just slow down with 30 guys behind you. Thanks buddy you just rode 30 guys out of the race.
2. You are dropping out of the race and instead of just pulling over you just slow down and take a few more with you. Same as #1 almost.
3. You are yelling at others in the race because they are not racing the way you want them to. Keep your mouth shut and attack.
4. You race negatively to get the W. I think the negative racing frustrates everyone but it's part of the game. I heard that some guys were slowing down the field and actually punching guys who were doing that at one race this year???
5. One last thing. Please don't touch me to let me know where you are. I don't like being touched in a bike race unless it's by a hot chick. (my wife doesn't read this blog :)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome.

As a newbie racer, frankly, I love reading advice like this. No one has ever called me on it, but I have a feeling I could easily be one of those sketchy riders. Normally holding a line isn't a problem because I'm off the back going solo or with some slow wheel suckers trying to draft off a 6-foot-4 windbreaker. I can just round the corners as I please. But it's not a good idea to do it at all. When I do find myself in a pack, I have no desire to not know how to hold a line so even when I'm off the back I try to practice hugging the corners and staying inside/outside to get a feel for that.

I need to get out and race. Triathlon this week, though. Then I can worry about group tactics for 52 miles around Bear Lake.

Boudie said...

r lake has 4 turns for 52 miles so no worries on that course. A blind Cat 5 can ride that course well. Just look out for parked vans.
Two years ago after 99 miles on the run in to the finish in the Cat 3 race with the wind from the left everyone was on the right side of the road guttered. Some cop decided it would be good to park a van on the right side of the road sideways since it was to the right of the white line. We are guttered on the right using the whole road. I'm back maybe 15 guys when people swerve left. I brake & slow way down and miss the van barely....I look right and the guy next to me goes BOOM head first. Then we hit the left turn with 800m or so to go and I sprint at 31.5 mph. Boy is it hard to sprint after a 100 miles.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.