Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Keep Improving

I just found this site from the yahoo skate group (http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Speed_skating/). Jeremy says some cool stuff on being a speedskater. I would ditto alot of what he says and it surprised me to hear this. I was expecting the usual blow by blow boring interview. Listen to it here (link below):

http://speedskating.ca/Audio_clips.cfm

Haven't listened to any others. I have to go to bed as 6am comes early.

As for this past weekend I could write a book about the skating at the World Cup. There are 100 people with a 100 stories and the best ones aren't always about the winners. But we as humans focus on the winners. Sometimes you learn more about yourself and a person when they lose. In any one speedskating race there are alot of losers if you define winning as 1st place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

agreed 100%, I've always wondered about the human habit of focusing so much on winner...

(we all do)

I wonder what the list would be of people who skated WR or almost WR times, insane performances, but since they were 2nd or 3rd on that day, no one cares...

I wonder who broke their own personal PB by the largest margin.. probably some skater from czeckosovakia who has always skated outdoors on crap ice, and was probably amazed at SLC altitude indoor fantasy land insane fast ice...