Saturday, February 16, 2008

DNS


DNS means Did Not Start. I expected to see that on the SLC TT results today. I guess they had time to take me out of the pairings. The results are at the UOO Website.

I finished my warmup laps and next was accels. First accel I had Erin Anders on my back pocket. He just started speedskating a few months ago and is posting some impressive times. He's an old hockey goalie from the University of Minnesota and a working stiff. He's in charge of sales and marketing for a software company and a skater now. He's been a great training partner as well and new friend.

I'm about 65 meters into an accel (ie. 65 meters down the straightaway for you non skaters) when I fell down after pushing on my right skate. I felt like I was getting good pressure. I fall and was like that was weird. Then I think I didn't fall but I think I lost my skate blade. Now I'm sliding towards the electronic timing equipement at the end of the straightaway. I use my only blade on my left boot to steer to the right and miss the timing stuff. I look at my boot and stand up. I only have one blade now and Kreg Greer helps me off the ice.


My day is done. I helped coach some skaters and cheer people on. I thought I would be doing manaul timing but they had enough volunteers.

Andrew Love had a PB on the 3k and a pretty solid 500m. It's funny Peter Schotting said to Erin that if you are going to die you might as well go out hard. Andrew used that strategy with a 31.8 first lap and hung on to a PB of 4:22. Good effort for Andrew a 500m fast twitch guy. I saw his first lap and he looked relaxed but I knew he would pay which he did but it's a good strategy. Hopefully he can get along further and further in the next couple of weeks before he leaves for Master Worlds in Erfurt, Germany. I wish I could go but not this year as work is too busy to take 6 days off.

1 comment:

Piotrek said...

That's a bummer. I never thought such things happened in skating. Look on the positive side, you're not a parachutist. :-)