Monday, February 25, 2008

Vote for Nunavut

Where in the world is Nunavut.



What would it be like to live there? I wondered that as I watched this girl Sarah A's video. It really touched my heart and I can't believe she is not winning this competition. Vote for her. I bet she could use the cash and you have to root for someone who is from Nunavut.
I had never heard of it but I guess they have were seperated from the Northwest Terretories in 1999. I used to be an ace in Geography but 1977 Geography.

http://www.ingspeedskatingchallenge.com/video.php

You have to watch both videos in order to vote.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked Sarah's video too. It's cool that this Canadian speedskating challenge is also getting some attention in the US. I coached short track for Team Alaska at the last Arctic Winter Games, and John Maurice, Sarah's coach, told me they had quite a few skaters in the club in Iqaluit (in 1977 they probably called it Frobisher Bay). I'm thinking it was something like 60 out of a population of 3000. If so, I think Iqaluit has the highest percentage of speedskaters per capita of anywhere in North America! (2%)

Lastly, for most places that send teams to Arctic Winter Games (Alaska, Yukon, Northern Alberta, Northwest Territories, Nunavut), AWG is really THE focus for the kids every two years. It's an awesome event. Competition starts on March 9th - it will be fun to see how Sarah does!

Cheers, Peter H.

Lori Shedlock said...

Hey Brian,
I am sure that your blog helped Sarah get to the finals:)
http://www.ingspeedskatingchallenge.com/video.php
I would have never found that link without your post, she is very charming and am glad to see her make it. Thanks for blog and the inspirational video links. I loved your comment about not going to worlds because you had to stay married:) Perfect! Have a great Spring out there in Salt Lake. Thanks, Lori Shedlock in Virginia Beach, where the inline weather is great but the ice is very, very soft:P

Anonymous said...

FYI, Sarah did great at the Arctic Winter Games last week. She got a silver medal in the 500, she fell in the 777 and got a DQ, gold in the 1000, silver in the 1500, and her Nunavut team got a silver in the relay. Way cool! She is a strong smooth skater. Moreover, she seemed like a really nice person.

Cheers, Peter H.